Climate Change Advisor
People in Need
An experienced Environmentalist with more than 8 years of experience in environment, climate, drought, agriculture and disaster risk reduction. I have a PhD degree in Physical Geography from Institute of Mountain Hazards and Environment, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences. I have dual master degree from Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Norway and Pokhara University, Nepal in International Environmental Studies and Environmental Management. I have obtained Bachelor degree in Environmental science from Tribhuvan University, Nepal.
My research experience mostly covers topics like climatic factors and agriculture, drought and agriculture, natural resource management, disaster risk reduction and environmental governance. I have worked in the districts of Koshi River Basin and Gandaki River Basin, Nepal. I have also some research experiences in Sichuan Province of People’s Republic of China. I am currently working in studying the soil moisture in forestland, shrubland and cropland in the Koshi River Basin, Nepal.
In addition to the research works, I have also worked in development sector with specialization environmental friendly local governance, urban disaster risk reduction. I have previous working experience in local government as Environmentalist and disaster risk reduction coordinator. Have fluency in Nepali and English languages and looking for collaborative research opportunities in climate, agriculture focusing in water stress and drought.
1. Dahal, N. M., Xiong, D., Neupane, N., Zhang, B., Liu, B., Yuan, Y., Fang, Y., Koirala, S., Rokaya, M. B. (2021). Factors affecting maize, rice and wheat yields in the Koshi River Basin, Nepal, 77(3), https://doi.org/10.2480/agrmet.D-20-00019, Journal of Agricultural Meteorology.
2. Dahal, N. M., Donghong, X., Neupane, N., Yigez, B., Baojun, Z., Yong, Y., Koirala, S., Lin, L., Yiping, F. (2021). Spatiotemporal analysis of drought variability based on the standardized precipitation evapotranspiration index in the Koshi River Basin, Nepal, 13 (5), https://doi.org/10.1007/s40333-021-0065-6, Journal of Arid Land.
3. Dahal, N. M., Donghong, X., et.al. Spatiotemporal Assessment of Drought and its Impacts on Crop Yield in the Koshi River Basin, Nepal. Agricultural Water Management- Manuscript Under Review.
4. Dahal, N. M., Donghong, X., et.al. Estimating and Analyzing the Spatiotemporal Characteristics of Crop Yield Loss in Response to Drought in the Koshi River Basin, Nepal. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 152, 1053–1073 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00704-023-04447-8
5. Yigez, B., Xiong, D., Zhang, B, Yuan Y, Baig, M.A., Dahal, N.M., et al. Spatial distribution of soil erosion and sediment yield in the Koshi River Basin, Nepal: a case study of Triyuga watershed. Journal of Soils and Sediments, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11368-021-03023-9.
6. Yuan, Y., Xiong, D., Wu, H., Liu, L., Li, W., Chidi, C. L., Dahal, N.M., Neupane, N. (2020). Using 137 Cs and 210 Pb ex to trace soil erosion rates for a small catchment in the mid-hills of Nepal. Journal of Soils and Sediments, 21(1), 403-418.
7. Yuan, Y., Xiong, D., Wu, H., Zhang. S., Zhang, B., Dahal, N.M., Lin, L., Li, W., Zhang. W., Shi, L. (2020). Spatial variation of soil physical properties and its relationship with plant biomass in degraded slopes in dry-hot valley region of Southwest China. Journal of Soils and Sediments 20: 2354-2366.
8. Koirala, S., Fang, Y., Dahal N.M., Zhang, C., Pandey, B., & Shrestha, S. (2020). Application of Water Poverty Index (WPI) in Spatial Analysis of Water Stress in Koshi River Basin, Nepal. Sustainability 12: 727.
9. Sitaula, B. K., Raut, N., Dahal, N.M., Bhatt, Y. R., Bajracharya, R. M., & Lal, R. (2019). Soil organic carbon stocks as influenced by forest management and socio-economic characteristics of community forest user groups in three districts of Central Nepal. Indian Forester 145: 863-870.
10. Wu, H., Xiong, D., Liu, B., Zhang, S., Yuan, Y., Fang, Y., Chidi, C.L, Dahal, N.M. (2019): Spatio-temporal analysis of drought variability using CWSI in the Koshi River Basin (KRB). International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 16: 3100.